Installer bugfix available (1.1-4)

Last update on Sept. 21, 2013.

Installer bugfix available (1.1-4)

A fix for installation failure due to having a partition numbered 10 or above is available.

The easiest way to fix is to update the kwheezy-livecd package. This can be done from the Live session (booting from DVD/USB media).

• Open 'Apper' via Applications Menu -> System > Apper.
  • Go to the 'Updates' section.
  • Click on "Check for new updates".
  • Wait for it to finish downloading the repository index (list of changes).
  • Tick the box next to kwheezy-livecd and nothing else from the list of updates. We can apply the other updates after installation.
  • Click 'Apply' button (bottom left).

Comments

1. Peter on 08/30/2013 5:34 p.m. #

I made a booted from a dvd to live session, when installing by clicking on the icon it takes 15 minutes for the installer to show up, when it did it took another 5 minutes for the partition tool to show.after setting install it got stuck at 90% on the media prepare screen, and nothing happened. Tried a few times more but it was the same. Next I tried in fail safe mode, same thing it takes 15 minutes for installer to show, but this time it did install, albeit it took a while, especially on finalizing install seem to stuck at 70%, big worry time again! but it dis install!! Glad it did because it looks a great distro. One other thing when setting up my user account, the whole desktop was then upside down, but shutting down again revealed this to be a small glitch. Everything working well now. Just one small thing when I click on the menu loking for programmes it suddenly turns off even with the mouse on the menu?
    Anyway great job with this as it works great and is stable, looking forward to new things in the future.
    Pete

2. euan on 08/30/2013 6:58 p.m. #

Was this live boot on bare metal or virtualbox?

What are your specs? especially RAM?

It doesn't take nearly that long on my netbook. And nobody else reported such slowness so far.

Kwheezy is a very large live iso, such a big squashfs (compressed image) takes quite some extracting into memory to boot into live session. That's why it's slow on live boot compared to most other distros. But your figures seem too big.

It should be much faster after installation.

Safe mode shouldn't make for a more successful installation. But it probably will require less RAM to run live session. Perhaps you were running out of memory.

Thanks for the feedback, I hope you enjoy Kwheezy. If you need any help, please use the forums.

3. Peter on 08/30/2013 7:17 p.m. #

Euan,

This was on bare metal, to install on my main drive.
    I have a Core 2 Duo 6600, running 4gb Ram, Hard drive is 500gb,NVidia 8800gt card, and this is for a 64bit install.Hope this helps

After install all runs great, nice and fast, had small hiccup with Apper on the Kernel upgrade where it appeared stuck at 53% for about 10 mins but all went well. Any other updates or installs have been fine

4. lemorte on 08/31/2013 9:35 p.m. #

No it's not for newbie, I have to struggle running on Intel Core i3 4g ram and 500gb and Intel 3000HD. On live CD I turn off Desktop Effect, after install I have to use OpenGL instead OpenGL2.
    Install leafpad and pcmanfm, because Dolphin and Kwrite really slow to load on my machine (I wonder why?). Oh, I use nano to disable the debian security repo. Overall this is a good distro, hope it will survive on the real world. Welcome to my notebook, and thank you.

PS:
    After restarting desktop I found 2 aptosid shortcut on my desktop, is kwheezy use aptosid application?

5. euan on 09/02/2013 1:53 p.m. #

@lemorte: Looking at your hardware specs you shouldn't be having performance problems. The graphics should work well with Intel 3000HD.

Why would you disable the security repo? Have you changed anything else in the sources.list file?

You should not having anything to do with aptosid on your desktop or otherwise. I have never added anything from the aptosid project in the development of Kwheezy. Neither would debian themselves. Something fishy going on there. Have you added aptosid/sidux repo or packages?

What version did you download?
    What architecture? (32bit/64bit)
    Which download link/method did you use?
    Did you check the md5sum?
    How did you burn the DVD? (best to use DAO/SAO)

I have tested Kwheezy on very similar hardware and had good results. No performance issues.

If you would like to help improve Kwheezy, use the forums or support form. I will help further diagnosis and hopefully cure.

6. lemorte on 09/05/2013 7:21 a.m. #

I run kwheezy am64. I just enable the security repo, I had problems with my internet connection. Fixed the X.Org config, now it work better.

With other debian distro I used to switch ceni and nm, because the broadband at my house and my office had different setting. The problem is I can't do that on kwheezy, the first time I switch ceni back to nm I can't run ceni anymore.

Could you help me to install plasma-widget-daisy, since I had no problems using wheezy repo to install libtaskmanager4 on other debian distro, but I can't do that on kwheezy.

7. lemorte on 09/05/2013 8:13 a.m. #

Sorry my bad, I guess it was my old user contains aptosid link on the desktop. Remove it, now it was gone. I add the squeeze repo, to install plasma widget daisy. But I can't find the solution to switch ceni back.

8. Donald Hamilton on 09/06/2013 1:59 a.m. #

I have been using Linux for years, but I can not seem to get this installed. I have tried nearly everything from adding files to the image from both Mepis and Debian 7 live KDE. Nothing works! I am running a new quad-core AMD system with 8GB random access memory and hard drive space you would love to have! And that is serious. I run a local server with Mepis (Debian Squeeze) on the web for private use, but Kwheezy is dysfuntional to an for me. I have the feeling it is created for the U.S.A. and not the real world!!!

9. euan on 09/06/2013 3:10 a.m. #

@lemorte: ceni is not in the debian repository, I'm not sure why. You can't use network-manager and ceni at the same time. Ceni will disable network-manager (or at least stop it from working). Why can't you use plasma-widget-networkmanagement (system tray applet) to handle your network connection settings? It has a lot of options.

I'm not sure how to switch control to ceni, I thought you just start it from menu and it goes through a configuration.

If you need to install ceni, it can be installed via smxi (a command line tool). Switch to a TTY (Ctrl+Alt+F1), log in as root and type smxi. Just follow the prompts, it's in something like utilities or tools or misc. It's a great tool, you can even install more recent liquorix kernels and current Nvidia drivers etc.

plasma-widget-daisy is not in squeeze or wheezy repo. libtaskmanager4abi3 is installed in Kwheezy. Where are you trying to install plasma-widget-daisy from? I suspect the dependency has a different name. The package name changed between squeeze and wheezy. Therefore many squeeze packages won't install on wheezy without some alterations. I have packaged plasma-widget-daisy for you (and anyone else). It's in the repo, you can install using Apper. It is compiled on Kwheezy (wheezy), so it should work better than any other package you'll find.

Remember Kwheezy IS wheezy, 100%.

10. euan on 09/06/2013 3:23 a.m. #

@Donald Hamilton: I would love to help you get Kwheezy installed but you need to give me more information. Why can't you install Kwheezy?

Firstly, make sure you have version 1.1 downloaded, check the iso md5sum is correct (it's on the download page).

Are you burning to DVD or preparing a USB?

Can you boot to the live session. If not, where does it fail?

What installation method did you choose?

Where is the installation failing?

11. Donald Hamilton on 09/06/2013 4:29 a.m. #

Not sure what you need, but I am on my 5 (maybe more download) of 1.1 from the European link. To much Yankee propaganda, so no U.S.A. for this Canadian!
    What I get is nothing when I boot the burnt image and click on the inatall buttons/links! They are burnt with a brand new LG Blu-ray drive. I am currently getting the 32&64 bit versions again. I will need to try the 64 version, so far it has all been with the 32 bit version!
    I am not sure what all you need to know here.
    It is a new machne, just built by myself in the last month. I will run MEPIS 11, 32 bit. If you can not tell I prefer the older 32 systems.
    Let me now specifically what will be needed to get more help!
    Thank you!

12. euan on 09/06/2013 5 a.m. #

@Donald Hamilton: I've sent you an email. Let's work on this out of the comments until you get it resolved. It will be easier.

13. lemorte on 09/12/2013 6:30 a.m. #

I can't comment on Kwheezy forum, maybe I'm too stupid to do that. I had found a way to switch ceni and nm vice versa. using rcconf from commandline. And the reason why my Kwheezy installation was so damn slow because I didn't do clean install. And never ever do a Ctrl-Alt-Backspace if some application stuck and make my system hang. Just do Ctrl-Alt-F2 and do reboot.
    I hesitate to install plasma-widget-daisy and kde plasma panel to create launcher. My new problem is I can't upgrade using apper, synaptic or apt-get. The kernel config stuck, is there any workaround to upgrade?
    Thanks euan, like I said before, "I just ended my distro hopping adventure."

14. euan on 09/13/2013 5:33 a.m. #

@lemorte: I never ever get a crash on Kwheezy. Debian wheezy is so damn stable. You obviously don't have a healthy installation.

Why you hesitate to install plasma-widget-daisy? When you made so much effort to install it from the wrong place. And now that I compiled and packaged it just for you, you don't want to try it.

The kernel config stuck? Sounds like you have done something wrong. Please re-install it cleanly (fresh home partition). From your previous posts, you are perhaps doing things wrong. like installing stuff from squeeze. Do not add additional repos unless they are wheezy compatable.

Best to re-install, then if you need plasma widget daisy, install from Apper. If you are 32bit, install the 686-pae as per my wiki on this website. Stick with the debian kernel unless you have hardware issues.

As for forum, did you register a login (account) with sourceforge? you need a sourceforge account (free) to use the Kwheezy forum.

15. lemorte on 09/13/2013 11:29 a.m. #

no euan, i mean i removed my old plasma-widget-daisy installation. your package work like a charm.

and for du problem, i just do 2 things.
    1. cleaned up /var/cache/apt/archives/
    2. restore /boot/grub/grub.cfg current state
    3. do update-grub as root

my problem solved.

16. euan on 09/13/2013 3:09 p.m. #

@lemorte: glad to hear plasma-widget-daisy works.

Also glad you managed to fix without re-installing. Seems like you know what you are doing. I just assumed you had broken too much and it wasn't worth trying to repair, in which case; better to re-install.

All the best using Kwheezy :-)