Installation Problems?

Last update on Sept. 16, 2013.

Installation Problems?

Having problems installing Kwheezy 1.0?

I have recently discovered that certain hard disk/drive sizes don't play well with the installer. Also, the installer doesn't recognise disk/drives without a partition table. It seems to only affect some drives / partition layouts. But particularly in VirtualBox.

That's OK, there's a fix already!

Kwheezy version 1.0.1 and up will include the fix.

The solution below only applies to those that are having problems
with the installer. Updating via Apper or apt-get will get you onto 1.0.1 with no difference
to the 1.0.1 installation media.

Solution:

Method 1.) The easiest way to fix is to update the kwheezy-livecd package. This can be done from the Live session (booting from DVD/USB media).

• Open 'Apper' via Applications Menu -> System > Apper.
  • Go to the 'Updates' section.
  • Click on "Check for new updates".
  • Wait for it to finish downloading the repository index (list of changes).
  • Tick the box next to kwheezy-livecd and nothing else from the list of updates. We can apply the other updates after installation.
  • Click 'Apply' button (bottom left).

Method 2.) If your problem is only that the installer won't detect your disk. You can create a partition table using 'KDE Partition Manager' from Application Menu -> System. If you are trying out Kwheezy 1.0 in VirtualBox, make the drive 18.00GB, it seems to work at that size.

Related entries

Comments

1. shrinivas on 08/01/2013 12:32 p.m. #

Hi, I have downloaded the DVD iso through torrents and the live-desktop is responsive and appears to be beautiful.
    I have one question, right now I have installed Debian-XFCE on a partitions of 15 GB (for root) and about 135 GB (for home).
    Can I install this Kwheezy onto the same partitions without resizing them ? I am quite familiar with installing and re-installing so this wouldn't be a problem, my question is would 15 GB be enough for Root ?
    So far, none of the linux distros I have tried require more than that space for root.
    Regards

2. euan on 08/01/2013 1:46 p.m. #

@shrinivas: Yes you can. I just tested your scenario using VirtualBox. 15GB is enough for root partition, it used 11GB after instalation.

You need to use the "Manual" partitioning, just leave the partitions as they are and close KDE Partition Manager. Then Check that the partitions are in the correct assignment. Do NOT tick/check format the home partition unless you want to wipe it and all data within. As always it's best to back up important data first as well.

I recommend starting with a clean profile (home folder) and pulling in the data from the old home folder. Perhaps rename the old/existing home folder first. That can be done from Kwheezy administrator account before adding a new user. Remember to add a new user with "Kwheezy Manage Users", not KUsers.

Please let me know how it went :)

3. shrinivas on 08/02/2013 noon #

Thanks for your reply. I did install kwheezy onto the same partitions, it occupies about 12 GB inthe root (I believe it is a bit too much !) I had some problem in getting to the desktop (delay), so I disabled the login sound and it is better now. I also installed my favorite smplayer, deluge, bleachbit,synaptic, from the Debian DVDs I had. then icons from Faenza.
    Your idea of choosing the graphic driver, adding the user is great. Installing proprietary drivers in Debian has been a hassle earlier !
    There are so many programs installed in this system, I have yet to see them all.
    I still have some problem with setting up time, I need to use localtime because I triple-boot with Win8, and OS4, which I am trying to solve by searching other forums.
    Regards

4. euan on 08/02/2013 12:48 p.m. #

@shrinavas: you were supposed to choose local time on the "Timezone" page of the installer. Look at the installation guide in wikis.

!!!!!!! IGNORE !!!!!!!
    To change it after installation: open /etc/default/rcS as root, then change UTC=yes to UTC=no . It's about the fourth paramater down.
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Correction: /etc/default/rcS is no longer used. They changed that in wheezy.

Sigh, I only just make a new installer as well.

So what you have to do is use the command (as root):

hwclock --systohc --localtime

Then reboot and change the time if necessary.

5. shrinivas on 08/02/2013 6:50 p.m. #

I used this to set to local time:

Regards

Other apps I added preload,readahead-fedora -Perhaps these could be installed in the next versions by you.

6. euan on 08/03/2013 4:22 a.m. #

Thanks shrinivas, then --systohc was also necessary. The man page for hwclock is not very clear about that, --localtime doesn't seem to do anything without --systohc.

I updated my previous comment in case somebody doesn't read past it.

7. shrinivas on 08/03/2013 1:48 p.m. #

Hi,
    I have one problem updating firefox. I get a notification that firefox 17.0.7 (or some such version) is available for download, but when I click it to activate, it takes foreversaying "connecting to server" but does not download nor install the latest version. I am thinking of installing the latest version of iceweasel, by adding that repository : deb https://www.mozilla.debian.net/ wheezy-backports iceweasel-release

Otherwise the system is stable and responsive.

Regards

8. euan on 08/03/2013 2:33 p.m. #

@Shrinivas: That notification is from Firefox, not Kwheezy or Debian. You can disable the update notification in Firefox:

Go to Edit menu -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Update, then tick "Never check for updates"

You can install Iceweasel alongside Firefox, but only open (use) either one at a time. however debian iceweasel is version 10, a bit older.

I recommend disabling the notification. I will push an update to 17.0.7 in the next few days.

9. Hector on 08/19/2013 5:24 a.m. #

Just installed Kweezy and when trying to login won't let me in.

Dell Latitude D830
    3Gig mem
    120 SDD
    Intell core 2duo

10. euan on 08/19/2013 5:54 p.m. #

@Hector: during the installation you were asked for passwords for root and administrator accounts. As long as it said installation complete, those passwords will work. I suspect that you had the wrong keyboard selected during installation. If so, the keys you typed for the passwords are different than you intended. I recommend installing again, this time type the password in the hostname field to test that the keyboard is working. Or use Kwrite to test the keyboard before running the installer.

If you don't want to re-install you could try logging in to root from a tty. At the login screen press the keys Ctrl+Alt+F1 at the same time. Then login as 'root' and the password you chose at installation. If successfully logged in to root, type 'passwd administrator' and change the password for the Administrator account.

Let me know if you have a problem with keyboard selection.